Art Space Portsmouth is pleased to welcome Tracy Hanna the recipient of the Art Space Portsmouth International Residency 2012.
Tracy will be in residence for four weeks until the end of March 2012. Please follow her progress here:

Monday 5 March 2012

I met a guy called Brian Bashford.


He is a local historical enthusiast.  He brought me on a walk along the harbour and told me a few facts about the area.

There are three lump forts just off the coast of Portsmouth.  They are military (or were) but were never really used for defense.  They were built in the 1800’s for defense against the French but the French never attacked.  There are a lot of them dotted along the south coast. 
Brian said, of the ones off the coast of Portsmouth, that one is a restaurant/venue, one is privately owned and the other is still military and apparently used by the MI5 (which I was delighted about). 

There is a tower on Gosport (this is a town just west of Portsmouth, it is a peninsula, you take the ferry there in about ten minutes or you drive the long way round, I think that takes about 45 minutes).  It is a diving tower operated by the navy.  Naval divers need to be able to emerge from the level of water in the tower before it is permissible for them to go down in a submarine.  This structure is interesting to me; there is so much water around yet this large tower has been constructed to contain a tall-standing tube of water.  Brian said that during World War II (it may have been I, I need to check) the Germans used this tower as a marker to navigate east to Portsmouth (where the naval dockyard was).  The British military built a cardboard replica of this tower at the furthest point of the peninsula to deter the enemy bombers.  I wonder if the replica was life-size, I assume it was, or almost at least.  And I wonder if it still exists.  I will try to find information on this! 


 Diving tower on Gosport

No comments:

Post a Comment